La Hunière, Vimoutiers
with the House of the Clock built in 1728 and
modified beginning of the XXth century, when
the stable barn was converted into a workshop for the artists.
The Briant family, friend of Armand Leleux, one of the favourite
pupils of Ingres, and Jean-Baptiste Farochon, sculptor, welcomed Camille Corot,
forerunner of the impressionist movement.
Route de la Hunière
Laurel Cottage/House of the clock
Jean-Baptiste Camille Corot, 1796-1875
"The perfectly optical painter with a perfectly innocent eye"
hills near Vimoutiers"
Oil on canvas 32x48
Pushkin museum collection, Moscou
Auction of the Verdier et Ho-schede collection, Paris, 1875
- 1875/1892, Tretyakov collection, Moscou.
Exhibitions : 1875, Paris - 1939, 1955 Moscou - 1956
Leningrad - 1960, Moscou
"Way at the edge of the forest at Vimoutiers"
Oil on canvas 40x56
impressionist painter having sojourned in
"Corot's letter to Alexandre Dumas of
August 6, 1865, in which the artist writes of his
intention to visit Normandy (Vimoutiers), as well as G.
Bazin's statement about Corot's sojourn in Vimoutiers,
allow for the assumption that the picture was painted in
1865. Artpprojekt/Pushkin museum". Alfred Robaut in "Oeuvre
de Corot" also mentions a sojourn in Vimoutiers the same
"There is only one master here - Corot. We are nothing
compared to him, nothing" Claude Monet, 1897
"He is still the
strongest, he anticipated everything..." Edgar Degas, 1883