VIMOUTIERS ... yesterdays


Website map


 of Pays d'Auge


Geo Visitors Map





Eglise Saint Sauveur - 1st Eglise Notre-Dame - 2nd Eglise Notre-Dame - Eglise Saint Denis du Pont-de-Vie - About two churches by Florentin Loriot



Eglise Saint Sauveur


The evangelization of population in the forest of Auge was initiated in the Vth century by Saint Latuin, honored as first bishop of Seez sent by the Pope and who faced incredulity and persecution, then by Saint Landry in times very disturbed by Germanic invasions.

The Merovingian dynasty converted to Christendom since Clovis, it is under their patronage that in the VIIth century, people saw Saint Ebrulf settling in the forest of Ouche, where he founded a hermitage, basis of the important Abbbey which will be called after him and will provide a safe haven to many monks, of whom later on,  the prolix Orderic Vitalis. Other lords, monks and hermits settle, christianize the population, churches are built and,


Vimoutiers, "relay for life" in the forest, halfway between Orbec and Trun, would have thus been named : Vicus monasterii, the burg of the church.


"Very modest, narrow, described without any chairs nor benches, two small altars on each side of the nave, recalling the simplicity of the first ages, certainly originally wooden-made, then rebuilt of limestones of the country,

 Saint Sauveur Church, located on the market place (map1779) vis-a-vis the communal oven, close to the Hotellerie des moines, was included in the properties given indirectly by Richard I to the Benedictines monks of Jumieges in the Xth century, in the circumstances described for the donation of Vimoutiers.


Certainly,  it was a halt of prayers for pelgrims,  because the earliest reference to the chemins Montais/Ways to Holy Michael Mount appears at Vimoutiers in 1025.


Saint Sauveur Church is demolished in 1787. Its materials will be used to enlarge the 1ere eglise Notre-Dame.


Virtual tour : Abbaye du Mont-Saint-Michel/Saint Michael Mount


Saint Latuin



would have been buried at he very place where the  Chapel of Cleray was built


Saint Sauveur Church



model XVIIIème by Biron

(source Jean Bard)


Vestiges of Norman Abbeys


AP/B/CG/C/JB/Patrimoine Sources and bibliography